Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Crafting Controversy

by Kelly

I recently read a post on Stacy Trock's Fresh Stitching about the new Susan Bates Silvalume design, and it reinforced something that I've been thinking for some time - that knitting and crochet groups are just as likely to split into opposition parties as politicians or religions.

Even in my short time as a crafter, I've seen a lot of comments on knitting and crochet forums that seem awfully fervent for something that's supposed to be a pleasant pastime. On the subject of yarn alone, there is quite a bit of controversy. Some crafters won't use acrylic yarn, some are opposed to wool as that's an animal product (although shearing doesn't harm an animal, they are opposed to keeping livestock in general), and some believe that using recycled materials is the only responsible path to take.

Meanwhile, crochet hooks and knitting needles are another sore subject. Some prefer wood over any other material, some prefer a particular brand. I, myself, don't mind the soft, metallic clicking noise that my aluminum  knitting needles make, but years of listening to rock music may have reduced my hearing slightly. To someone else, they may sound like fingernails on a blackboard. And while I prefer my Susan Bates Silvalumes, I'm not going to say that they are the only ones I'll ever use, because I haven't tried very many brands. I will say that I prefer smaller sized crochet hooks to be metal, rather than plastic, because I'm always afraid of breaking small plastic hooks.



Honestly, though, I think that all this division and controversy is just human nature. Whether for good or bad, I think that people in a group feel as though they should support each other, and one way to do that is to defend the majority opinion. And if someone from another group feels differently, watch out!

I actually hold any number of strong (and often unpopular) opinions, but not about crafting. How about you? Have you tried the new Silvalumes? Is there a big difference? Or do you feel that one hook is just as good as any other?

4 comments:

  1. I like the Susan Bates. I've tried the Boyd ones before but they don't seem to slide as well. Though I'm starting to have that problem a bit with the Susan Bates ones as well. Maybe I should try out a bunch of different ones.

    I have the same with yarn. I've always used Red Heart. I only just recently started trying different yarns depending on the project I'm doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my Susan Bates Silvalumes because they don't catch on the yarn. They slide easily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And it's no wonder that I like the Susan Bates then considering that you taught me how to crochet. I'm guessing it was with Red Heart yarn too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was with Red Heart yarn but I don't use Red Heart as much anymore. I use I Love This Yarn from Hobby Lobby a lot. It is softer than Red Heart. I gave you your Susan Bates hooks also. Talk about influence!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...