Saturday, May 7, 2011

How to Embroider Eyes on Crocheted Toys (Amigurumi)

by Kelly


I thought it would be fun to make a little video tutorial showing a few neat tricks I learned while making eyes for my amigurumi bears. Little did I know that many hours of computer time and much help from my loving, tech savvy husband would be required. Lesson learned.

Also, the video is longer than I thought it would be. It sure doesn't seem like it takes almost four minutes to sew one darn eye on a toy bear, but apparently it does. Which makes me wonder how long it takes me to do other simple tasks, like washing dishes or sweeping the floor. It really puts a whole new perspective on things, and certainly makes me even less inclined to do the housekeeping. But I digress.

So, here is the video. There is one thing that you need to know before watching this - embroiderers thread their needles differently than other people. First, cut a long length of embroidery floss. I measure it from my fingertips to my shoulder. Seperate one strand of the floss and fold that one strand in half by putting the two cut ends together. Now thread both cut ends through the eye of the needle. You'll end up with a loop on one end. It sounds weird, but this works better because there is no knot on the end.

Trust me. The video shows how this works.






So, there you go. A simple (ha!), little (four minutes!) video on how to embroider eyes on a toy.  Have fun!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...