Friday, November 2, 2012

Show and Tell

by Kelly


Work continues on learning how to knit gloves. It's a pretty uphill struggle, as far as I'm concerned. Oh, I completed my first glove, all right...


but I'm not happy with it. The gauge seems too loose to keep hands warm in a Midwest winter, and the fingers are waaayy up on top of the palm, so it doesn't seem proportional. I searched for other free glove patterns, so I could do a comparison glove, but most of them are knit in sock yarn. I do have two skeins of sock yarn that I acquired somewhere along the way, but I don't think I could match the gauge required. I mean, I have to drop four needle sizes to knit most patterns with worsted, so I would be knitting with size 000 needles or something.

Speaking of gauge, I knit that tiny purple hat as a quick test to see if my gauge calculations are at all accurate. The hat came out spot on, so I guess whoever came up with the glove pattern thinks of gloves only as fashion accessories, rather than functional winter wear.

If I can find another free glove pattern, I'll try that with worsted weight yarn - otherwise I'll knit the Patons glove with two strands of yarn, and see if that helps.

I would try thrumming, if I happened to have any wool roving lying around. And I don't think that even Donna's almost mystical yarn stash, which multiplies on its own when no one is watching, has any wool roving in it. Oh well.

1 comment:

  1. I probably don't have wool roving since I don't know what it is.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...